Our business is growing rapidly and we are always looking for talented individuals to join our team. We invest heavily in our people
by providing world class training and development programmes and we offer access to the latest technology to ensure we can meet
the challenges of the ever-changing business world. Our apprenticeship programme is at the heart of our recruitment philosophy.
A combination of college education and on-the-job training, backed up by a comprehensive programme of training at JCB’s world
headquarters means that Watling JCB offers only the best apprentice schemes, backed up by excellent long term career opportunities.
Job and Person Specification
Service Engineer and/or technical Specialist Apprenticeship
Current 2018 Apprentice Rates of pay (at the time of writing)
App. Yr 3 £6.58
App. Yr 2 £5.59
+ Overtime (on an as and when basis, overtime is not guaranteed)
Watling JCB Limited is a privately owned and owner managed profit making organisation and one of the most progressive JCB Dealerships in the country for the Sales and Customer Support of Construction, Industrial and Recycling & Waste Machinery products.
We look for high calibre, forward-thinking, energetic people with a "can-do" attitude. We want people who thrive in a diverse and challenging work environment, who are receptive to change and who wholeheartedly embrace the opportunity to take responsibility for themselves and the company's ongoing success.
In such a dynamic and committed workforce, flexibility is essential, and many of our workforce, in accordance to what the job needs, operate with a huge degree of commitment and energy to ensure our long-term strategy to drive the business forward to increase shareholder profitability for ongoing success and growth to remain the JCB Dealer of choice is achieved.
Main Purpose of the Role:
The Service Engineer Apprenticeship is a three year programme consisting of the following training:
- 28 weeks studying (subject to change dependent upon course delivery).
- 2 Weeks per annum at JCB Manufacturer Training School.
- Continuous self-development through the JCB Manufacturer Online Training procedures for career progression.
- Shadowing and mentoring programme with nominated senior member of the team.
- “On the job” Workshop/Field training programme under the supervision of a nominated senior member of the team.
- Health and safety training, ie. manual handling, portable appliance testing, safety passports, etc.
- To gain the skills necessary to effectively and efficiently maintain and repair construction industry equipment.
- To successfully complete the Apprenticeship to be able to qualify to become a Workshop Engineer.
- To present a professional image at all times.
- To carry out all work practices in line with company health and safety policy.
- To contribute to overall success of Watling JCB through teamwork and good communication within the company.
- To carry out any other duties as deemed necessary to fulfil the Apprenticeship.
- To communicate efficiently and express your ideas clearly and confidently at all levels verbally, in print and via the telephone
- Teamwork, ability to work confidently within a group and on own initiative
- Time Management, ability to manage time effectively, prioritising tasks and working to deadlines
- Drive and determination to get things done, make things happen and continually looking for better ways of doing things
- Analysing and Investigating, ability to gather information systematically to establish facts and principles for problem solving
- Commercial Awareness, ability to understand the commercial realities affecting the organisation
- Flexibility, ability to adapt successfully to changing situations and environments
- Initiative and Self-Motivation, ability to act on initiative, identify opportunities and be proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions
- Capable of delivering results under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Quality focused
- Honest, reliable, trustworthy, good time keeper
- Ability to be professional, cheerful, co-operative at all times
- Ability to be motivated and customer focused
- Clean driving licence and good driving record (if applicable)
- Full driving, Fork Lift Truck driving licence (training will be provided)
- Paid employment whilst undertaking training.
- Paid training, qualification, and accommodation fees on reimbursement basis.
- 22 days paid holiday + bank holidays + 1 day for every 5 years completed service.
- Attractive rates of pay
- Pension scheme
- Contributory medical insurance scheme
- Death in service company life assurance
- Perkz employee benefits
- O2 employee benefits
- Successful completion, to the required standard, of the Service Engineer or Techincal Specialist Apprenticeship may qualify to become a full time employed Workshop Service Engineer.
Working relationships with: (Positions supervised/managed)
Company Board Of Directors
Service Department – Field and Workshop Service Engineers
Finance / Accounts Department
This is a description of the job as it is at present constituted. It is the Company’s practice to periodically examine employee’s job descriptions and to update them to ensure that they relate to the job as it is performed, or to incorporate whatever changes are being proposed. This procedure is jointly conducted by each manager in consultation with the post holder concerned. It is the Company’s aim to reach agreement to reasonable changes, but if agreement is not possible management reserves the right to insist on changes to job descriptions after prior consultation.
Approved by: T Lees Product Support Director 29 May 2019.
Prepared by: M Goodwin HR 29 May 2019.